Sunday 3 May 2015

Its becoming so close now - the nerves are kicking in.  So, what are my expectations for this trip and what do I think I will achieve?

Primarily, it will give me space to mourn my father who was a key person in my life but up until this point, due to other factors/happenings in life, I haven't been able to so. Secondly, I am really looking forward to meeting others who are similar - afterall what person decides to trek non stop and solo 2700miles across the mountains and deserts of the USA? People who 'get it' and have the same mind set will be on this trail...now thats exciting. I can guarantee that 'small talk', 'tittle tattle' and eye rolling gossip wont be on the agenda! Finally, its about taking it one step further - when I completed the 200mile coast to coast trot in 7.5 days, I knew I could have gone on but had other commitments.  This is x13 longer ...so should give an indication on how much more I can go!

In terms of achievement - there is none. I could walk 1mile down the trail and decide that I dont want to do it... It maybe at mile 2100 .., or maybe I will just keep on walking to mile 47900... And thats ok. For the first time, I don't have boundaries, others expectations, sorting out other peoples problems, deadlines or working 15 hour days 7 days a week for others benefit- a thankless task - that I've done for over 20 years. Tomorrow - I will be selfish... Completely and wholly selfish.... And that feels great, exciting and different.

1 comment: